Sainsburys Distribution Centre
Bowmer & Kirkland
About The Project:
Sainsbury’s Distribution Centre is located at Radial Park Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire.
In a move by supermarkets and high street retailers to minimise back of house space in stores, demand for distribution capacity has dramatically grown in the UK over the last ten years.
This bespoke distribution centre was designed from the ‘inside out’ to enable a combination of reception, storage, sorting and picking facilities which were necessary for the requirements of the end user.
The building consists of a 540,000 square foot warehouse with attached office pod buildings consisting of the main office along with transport, service and DPS pods.
There is also a remote gatehouse building and vehicle maintenance unit.
The distribution centre is the size of ten football pitches and includes the installation of 40-miles of cabling.
The design, build and installation of the mechanical and electrical building services included:
- New incoming gas service sized at 100litres per second with 1000m of 180mm pipework
- New incoming mains water service and associated cold water storage, booster and distribution service with 1000m of 125mm pipework
- External fire hydrant ring main with 1000m of 180mm pipework
- 320kw of chilled water refrigeration plant and distribution systems
- 10 LPHW boiler plants and distribution systems
- Various supply and extract air handling ventilation plant and distribution systems
- Centralised hot water plant and distribution system
- 2 communications room close control air conditioning systems
- New public health installation infrastructure
- Fully networked H and V building management control system
- 1.5 miles of high velocity ventilation ductwork
- New incoming supply rated at 5.5MVA
- 11kv ring main measuring 1.5miles
- 2 No package substations each containing 2 No 1600kva cast resin transformers
- 2 No 11kv generates rated at 2MVA each
- 12 miles of lighting busbar trunking
- 5000 light fittings
- 4 miles of ladder rack
- 6 miles of trunking containment for data / CCTV
- 32 miles of armoured supply cabling
- 45 miles of HVCA, lighting, emergency lighting and external lighting control cables
- 2 emergency lighting central battery systems
- 12 miles of fire alarm cable
- 10 miles of early warning fire detection pipework
- Full security system throughout including CCTV, access and security